It’s been forever since I’ve posted anything because work, sick, blah blah yadda yadda, but I am happy to be able to share that I finally finished my Sterling Archer portrait. Archer was supposed to be August’s wip completion. Didn’t quite make that deadline, but fuckall, cause he’s finished now! 🙂
I kind of never want to do that much satin stitching on one project again. I did not enjoy it. It caused me to say multiple swears that I cannot pluck back from out of the sullied air of my living room.
If you want to make this guy yours forever and always, he’s listed in my Etsy shop.
While I’ve mostly been languishing on my big red couch for the past few weeks, binge-watching Scandal, coughing and snotting like crazy, and trying my best to avoid grading freshman comp essays, I HAVE actually done a bit of sewing, crafting, quilting whatnottage on the side.
Stay tuned. I’ll get around to posting all my crafty shenanigans eventually. 🙂
The wip I determined to finish in August is my Archer piece. I started stitching Sterling Archer over a year ago and put the project away when I got frustrated and didn’t enjoy working on it anymore. Originally, I had planned to stick to just a black outline of the character, using satin stitch for thick black outlines that would mimic the way the cartoon is drawn. My mistake was in transferring the pattern to my fabric and then stitching away and never looking back at the original cartoon to gauge which lines should be thick and which thin. I kind of randomly went to town on it without paying too much attention to what I was doing, and when I got to this point, I realized that it looked weird and not right, and the thought of fixing it was overwhelming so I just said *&$% it and tossed it aside.
I picked it back up again at the beginning of this month and proceeded to continue in the same vein as I had started. After filling in the thick black line at the left side of Archer’s face, I still hated it. I asked Pritts for his honest opinion, and he offered that based on the illustration, some of the places I was filling in with black really shouldn’t be black at all.
Pritts has this annoying habit of being right a lot of the time.
So I made the decision to revamp the damn thing using colors instead of just black and white.
I’m satisfied with his shirt and suit, finally, and here’s where I’m at now:
I’m still not 100% loving this piece, but I think when I finish, I’ll be happy that I reworked it. It was a severe pain in the ass going at it with my seam ripper, and I’m not sure how I feel about filling in his face. It’s looking kind of weird to me.
I may not make my end of August deadline, but I’ll be darn close, and when I’m finished, it’ll be FINISHED. At this point, that’s all I really care about. Finished beats perfect, every time. 🙂
Since I committed to finishing at least one old WIP per month, for August I’m focusing on Archer. I started this hoop at least a year ago and abandoned it when I got frustrated that it wasn’t coming along as I had planned. I wanted to do some thick black lines to preserve the way the cartoon is drawn, but I started satin stitching without a clear plan for which lines to fill in, so then it started looking weird to me and I got pissed off. Ha ha. Story of my crafting life: start without a plan, get frustrated and angry, abandon project.
But this month, he shall be finished–Oh yes! Yes, he shall.
We’re in the danger zone here.